Post Date: Thursday, March 29, 2018
|Ron Rogers teamed with his son, who invited a high school golf teammate, and the trio rode those relationships to win the Mudball Tournament.|
The team of Rogers, son Ryan Rogers and Jeff Cooper of Roswell had the best gross score of 240, eight lower than the second-place team after being tied for the lead the first day.
“There were several good teams,” said Ron.
See our Mudball Facebook gallery
The other winning teams in the First Flight gross score were:
• 2nd: Larry Barker and Marian Barker, and Jim Ferrell with 248.
• 3rd: Randy Rawls, Hunter Rawls and Aubrey Rawls with 252.
• 4th: Mark Decker, Arthur Miller and Bob Ralston with 259.
In the First Flight net score:
• 1st: Jimmy Garth, Steve Kennedy and Dale Parsley with 239.
• 2nd: John Birk, Rajeev Gill and Chad Williams with 242.
• 3rd: Stan Kirby, Grady Terrill and Kerry Wimberly with 246.
• 4th: Glenn Cummings, Ricky Green and David Rogers Sr. with 247.
Ron’s son Ryan is the club champ at Lakeridge and he invited Cooper, his former Roswell High golf teammate.
They won a New Mexico State golf title while playing for the Coyotes and both played college golf.
“They’re both really good golfers and made it easy for an old guy like me,” said Ron, adding that Pro Mark’s format was pretty challenging over the two-day tournament which had 32 teams in two flights. There were four different formats for each nine holes.
“You had to use four drives for all players so if you had a weak link it would show up with three-man teams,” said Ron. “All three had to be playing well all the time.”
His threesome shot par or lower for all four nines.
“The course is in great shape. The greens are really good,” said Ron, tipping his golf cap to Spencer and his crew.
Ryan played high school golf in New Mexico because his dad took a banking job in Roswell in 1993.
Ron moved back to his native Lubbock in 2003.
The team of Al Pouria, Burns Hamilton and Jon Overstreet captured the Second Flight gross score title with a 262.
“I didn’t think we had won,” said Pouria afterwards. “It was a tough format. I thought I let my guys down on two of three tee shots.”
But he contributed enough and credited his teammates with playing really well.
The other winning teams in the Second Flight gross score were:
• 2nd: Brent Couch, Greg Couch and Terry Shipley with 268.
• 3rd: Dan Odom, Matt Rose and Lal Williams with 270.
• 4th: Brad Bostick, Vincent D’Alise and Kolby Kimbrough with 276.
In the Second Flight net score:
• 1st: Pat Coulter, Clay Hoffman and Harold Stuart with 246.
• 2nd: Tom Hurley, Shaun Hurley and Clint Miller with 248.
• 3rd: Tim Dixon, Kelly Pratas and Steve Warren with 255.
• 4th: Chip Gilmour, Mike Terrell and Mike Wicks with 258.